InkedTips is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site at no cost to you. Learn more.
A tattoo is a permanent body art that requires special care to assure that it will always look extravagant. Thus, once you decide to get inked for the first time, you need to know about proper tattoo aftercare instructions. With proper care, you will be able to make your favorite designs look eye-catching.
What Is The Tattoo Aftercare?
Tattoo aftercare is a step-by-step process of taking proper care of your tattoo once you get inked. It will take a few days to heal your new design. Therefore, you have to follow proper caring instructions for the best results.
Importance Of Tattoo Aftercare
- A tattoo is like an open wound that can get infected. Proper aftercare will help in the healing of your tattoo quickly.
- It will help reduce ink bleeding and blowouts, so your tattoo will not fade away easily.
- Good aftercare will protect you from any infection or other issues.
Tattoo Aftercare Instructions – Day By Day Guideline
Once you get a tattoo, the first question that will come to mind is how to take care of a tattoo day by day. Do not worry because your artist will provide you with a complete guideline. However, chances are you may forget most of their instructions. Thus, to help you remind, we have tattoo aftercare instructions daily guide.
- Carefully remove the bandage after 3 to 4 hours of getting a tattoo because your skin needs to breathe.
- If you have a special tattoo bandage, it is better to keep it for 24 hours.
The bandage placement should be proper so your tattoo will not expose while you are sleeping. Moreover, before changing your bandage, wash your tattoo properly with a good quality neutral anti-bacterial soap. A common reason professionals suggest you keep the bandage on for 1st day is to avoid any leakage or rubbing.
To cover your tattoo, it is better to use a breathable tattoo film.
– Use old clean sheets that you do not care about for the first day because there will be stains.
– It is better to avoid drying your tattoo with a towel because you can accidentally rub it. Thus, it is always better to pat dry with tissue paper.
– For 2 to 3 days, your tattoo is like a wound, so you have to be extra careful to avoid infection.
Ebanel Pain Relief Spray with Arginine
It is one of the best numbing sprays to help you relieve pain after getting a tattoo. Ebanel has 5% lidocaine that will reduce pain and moisturize your skin. Moreover, the spray is very easy to use and portable. Thus, you can use it anywhere and anytime.
Remove your bandage, and you need to start regularly washing and moisturizing your tattoo. On the other hand, if you use a protective tattoo bandage, you can reapply it after cleaning and moisturizing for 2 to 3 days.
Remember to wash your tattoo at least 2 to 3 times and do not let it get dry by applying a good moisturizer.
Always wash your tattoo gently but firmly using your hands.
Detailed guide: After caring of tattoo for the first 48 hours
Use water and anti-bacterial neutral soap to wash your tattoo 2 to 3 times. Select a soap depending on your skin type. Moisturize your tattoo using a quality product because it helps heal your wound faster. You can apply the balm often because it soothes itching and reduces inflammation. Do not use an excessive amount of ointment. It is better to apply a thin layer regularly.
Green Soap By Essential Values – Tattoo Aftercare
It is an ideal soap for your skin because it has natural and hypoallergenic ingredients. Soap is gentle on the skin and easy to use. There will be no mess, and you will be able to get the best results.
Day 4 – 15
Repeat the cleaning and moisturizing routine consistently. Before touching your tattoo wash your hands properly. Always use lukewarm water when cleaning your body art because hot water can damage your tattoo. Prefer to always use your hands instead of washcloths, towels, or loofahs because there are harsh, and there is no need to scrub your skin.
Big tattoos will require extra healing time, so you may have to follow the routine for an extra week.
What Is Best For Tattoo Aftercare?
Apart from simple tattoo aftercare instructions, there are some essentials you will need. Here are a few products that you will need.
- Mild and fragrance-free.
- Prefer hypoallergenic products.
- Gentle baby soaps are a reliable option.
- Get ultra-hydrating ones.
- Use a thin layer so your skin can heal.
- You can get the one with numbing ingredients to reduce pain.
- A scab will soon start falling off, so applying a gentle moisturizer will be a good option.
- Use gentle lotions and creams, which are fragrance-free.
- Prefer easy-to-find lotions.
Things To Know About Tattoo Aftercare
During aftercare and healing, you should expect some surprises, and here are a few of them.
1- Inflammation And Swelling
The first you will notice after removing your bandage is inflammation and swelling. It may be bloody red and slightly bruised. Moreover, some common body reactions will heal in the coming days.
2- Tattoo May Get Messy
For the first few days, your tattoo will ooze various fluids that will consist of
- Clear plasma
- Lymphatic fluid
3- There Will Be Itching And Scabbing
Be ready for flaking, itching, and scabbing. A scab is like a protective layer that will keep out all germs, bacteria, and debris. Besides that, it is a great sign that your tattoo is properly healing. However, there may be a slight it, but it will only last a few days.
Related: Tip the tattoo artist
Tips To Heal Your Tattoo Quickly
Plasma leads to the formation of a scab. Gently remove wet plasma so there will be no big scab.
- Always use cold to lukewarm water for cleaning
- For the first few nights, use old and clean sheets. Thus, even if there are stains, you are not ruining anything new
- Always fry your tattoo properly before applying ointment
- Use a cold compress if the tattoo is itching
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking more water
- Always stick to instructions given by your artist or doctor. Do not listen to anyone else.
- Apply sunscreen before going out for extra protection
Things Not To Do In Tattoo Aftercare
- Avoid soaps and creams with harsh chemicals
- Do not pick scabs because they will form scar tissue
- Never scratch a tattoo
- Do not swim until the tattoo is properly healed
Ensure that you understand and follow proper new tattoo aftercare instructions to get desirable results. No doubt there will be a few painful days, but after that, you will get beautiful artwork on your body that you can appreciate forever. However, if you notice any problems, make sure to consult your doctor immediately.
Tattoo Aftercare Instructions – FAQs
Q. How Long Should I Use Tattoo Aftercare?
You will have to take proper care of your tattoo for at least 2 to 3 weeks.
Q. How Often To Apply Tattoo Aftercare?
Wash your tattoo at least 2 to 3 times for the first week and follow up with ointment or moisturizer for best results.
Q. How Should A Tattoo Feel After 2 Days?
Commonly, after 2 days, you will remove the bandage, and your tattoo may be little painful and bleeding ink.
Q. Are There Any Special Saniderm Tattoo Aftercare Bandage Instructions?
Your tattoo artist will provide you with proper instructions regarding how to remove your saniderm bandage. If you get confused, you can visit your artist again, and they will help remove the bandage.