InkedTips is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site at no cost to you. Learn more.
With various recommendations for tattoo aftercare, it gets difficult to find a product that works best for you. Among these, Aquaphor for tattoos is a commonly found recommendation. Everyone has it in their home because you can need it at any time. Aquaphor is a versatile healing ointment that works for wounds, cuts, irritation, and much. However, people want to know, “Is Aquaphor healing ointment good for tattoos?“.
Here we have the answer to all your questions to help you understand whether Aquaphor is good or bad for tattoos.
What Is Aquaphor And Is Aquaphor Good For Tattoos
Aquaphor is a line of skincare products, but our main focus will be on healing ointment by the company when it comes to tattoos. Apparently, dermatologists highly recommend it for healing cracked and dry skin. Aquaphor creates a healing environment by retaining the skin’s moisture and creating a semi-occlusive barrier. It can help in tattoo healing because it is good.
- Cracked and dry skin
- Minor burns.
- Cracked heels
Following ingredients are present in Aquaphor.
- Petrolatum 41%
- Lanolin alcohol
How does It work?
Aquaphor works in the following simple ways.
- After applying the ointment, it will help retain moisture by creating a protective barrier.
- Moreover, it allows moisture to reach your wound because of its semi-occlusive properties. Thus, the wound will not dry out that speeds up healing.
- Creates an effective healing environment by preventing moisture loss.
An essential ingredient in Aquaphor is Bisabolol. It is extracted from the chamomile plant. Therefore, it has soothing and anti-inflammatory effects, which protect the skin from infections.
Top 3 Aquaphor Products For Tattoos in 2023
Here are the best Aquaphor products that are ideal for tattoo healing.
Ideal multi-purpose ointment that helps with tattoo healing. We loved that it was non-greasy and kept skin moisturized for a long time. Moreover, it was easy to apply, and there was no irritation on the skin. The ointment was easy to apply and absorbed quickly in the skin. Besides that, it is ideal for sensitive skin.
- No preservatives
- Feels natural on the skin
- Easy to apply
- No fragrance
- Protects skin from drying
- It May change color over time, but it’s completely normal due to the ingredients
If you are looking for quick results healing ointment will be a good solution. It has all the soothing ingredients. We loved that it did not feel oily while keeping skin soft and soothing. It has no fragrance and protects the skin from the rash. Moreover, it does not draw ink out and bring great tattoo results.
- Soothing and good for sensitive skin
- Nourishes skin
- Develops protective barrier to avoid infections
- Odorless and no preservatives
- Sulphate free
- It May feel a little sticky but only for the first few seconds
This easy-to-apply spray ointment is a lifesaver if getting your first tattoo. We love its portability, and you can apply it many times. Moreover, it soaks quickly in the skin and has quick healing properties. Besides that, it keeps skin moisturized and protects it from drying, which helps in tattoo healing.
- Easy to apply
- You may have to reapply several times
Why Aquaphor Is Recommended For Tattoo Healing?
The Aquaphor healing ointment is recommended for tattoo healing occasionally. It is because tattoos take 3 to 4 weeks to heal, and moisturization plays an important role in the healing process. As compared to Vaseline, Aquaphor has hydrating as well as soothing ingredients. It stops itching that reduces scaring, due to which tattoos heal faster.
You can also use other healing ointments, but Aquaphor is easily available and easy to use in the house.
How Much Aquaphor To Put On Tattoo?
Immediately after getting a tattoo, you will get a bandage which you will have to keep on for several hours or days. However, as soon as you remove the wrap, you can apply a thin layer of Aquaphor on your tattoo to keep your skin hydrated.
How Long To Use Aquaphor For Tattoos?
You can apply Aquaphor 2 to 3 times per day for several days after getting a tattoo. Besides that, you can stop using it once you think your tattoo is healed.
5 Steps Aquaphor Tattoo Aftercare Instructions (How To Use)
- Remove Wrap/Bandage: According to the instructions given by your artist, you have to remove the bandage or wrap on the tattoo. Carefully and slowly remove it to avoid any scarring or damage to tattoos.
- Wash Tattoo: Before applying healing ointment, you have to wash the tattoo properly. Use warm water and mild antibacterial soap to wash any scab, ink, or blood from the skin’s surface.
- Dry The Area: Always pat dry your tattoo with a washcloth or soft towel. Never every scrub dry because it will increase scarring and lead to tattoo bleeding ink.
- Apply Thin Layer: Apply a thin layer of Aquaphor healing ointment on your tattoo. Use very little because excessive ointment can reduce oxygen reaching to the skin, which can cause a rash.
- Remove Excess: If you think there is excessive ointment on your skin, it is better to remove it. Slightly wipe it off from your skin.
Reasons Aquaphor Is Good For New Tattoos
Suppose you are wondering why you need to use Aquaphor. Here are some effective reasons why.
- Creates protective layers that stop bacteria and germs from entering the tattoo. Thus, it prevents infection.
- Reduce scabbing, itching, and crust formation. Moreover, it keeps skin soft so you will not scratch it.
- It promotes fast healing and is good for all types of skin. Besides that, it is good for sensitive skin as well.
- Aquaphor is an easily accessible and affordable healing ointment.
3 Signs You Need To Use Aquaphor On Tattoos
Here are some cases in which using Aquaphor will be the best choice during the tattoo healing process.
- Once the tattoo reaches its final stage of healing, using Aquaphor is a good option. Make sure the tattoo is completely close.
- Before showering, protect your tattoo with Aquaphor from excessive water and moisture. After showering, you can remove ointment, wash and dry your tattoo.
- Once the tattoo is properly healed, you should not stop moisturizing it. Moreover, keeping skin hydrated will protect your tattoo from fading and keep it vibrant.
When To Switch From Aquaphor To Lotion?
After several days of using healing ointment, you will have to switch to lotion. It is because, for proper healing, you have to allow your skin to breathe. In this situation, using lotions is better because they are water-based and keep skin hydrated, but they do not have healing properties.
Thus, for the first few weeks, it is better to use healing ointment like Aquaphor, and your artist will specify after how many days it is safe to switch to lotion. Follow the give instructions for experts for your tattoos to heal properly.
Related: Numbing creams for tattoos
Other Tips For Tattoo Aftercare
Here are some other interesting tips that will help you with tattoo aftercare.
- Avoid scrubbing your tattoos while washing.
- For two weeks after getting tattoos, avoid swimming, hot tubs, sauna, and long showers. However, the brief shower is fine because you cannot keep your tattoo wet for too long.
- During the healing process, scabs may appear. Please do not pick them because they can damage the shape of your tattoo.
- For 2 to 3 weeks, avoid direct sunlight and tanning. Moreover, cover your tattoo with loose clothes and wear sunscreen. Besides that, unprotected sun exposure will fade your tattoo.
We hope you understand now why Aquaphor is good for tattoo healing. It will help with the healing process and protect your tattoos from infections.
Moreover, make sure that you follow the exact instructions while using it for the first time. Do not overuse the ointment. Besides that, follow a proper aftercare routine so that your tattoo will look amazing. Utilize the best Aquaphor for tattoos products that suit your skin type.
Related: Tattooing over scars?
Aquaphor for Tattoos – FAQs
Q: Is Aquaphor Safe For Tattoos?
A: Yes, Aquaphor is safe for tattoos. There are not any ingredients that can cause any harm. However, it is always better to patch test to assure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients present in the ointment.
Q: Does Aquaphor Pull Ink Out Of Tattoos?
A: In case you are applying Aquaphor on a new tattoo, chances are ink will start coming out. It is because the tattoo bleeds ink in the first few days. However, once ink bleeding stops putting Aquaphor will not pull out ink from your tattoos.
Q: Is Baby Aquaphor Good For Tattoos?
A: If you have highly sensitive skin, baby Aquaphor will be a better option because it is mild and gives similar results to other Aquaphor products. Moreover, check the ingredient list before applying to be on the safe side.